Dark circles under your eyelids are common in both men and women. Dark circles are often accompanied by bags and can make you look older than you are. To make things worse, they are notoriously tricky to get rid of!
They can affect anyone, but they are most common in people who:
- Are elderly
- Have a genetic predisposition
- Are from non-white ethnic groups
What causes dark circles?
Dark circles can be caused by a number of things, including:
- Fatigue; Oversleeping, extreme tiredness, or simply staying up a few hours past your normal bedtime can cause dark circles to form under your eyes. Sleep deprivation can cause your skin to become dull and pale which allows dark tissues and blood vessels beneath your skin to show. Lack of sleep also causes fluid to build up beneath your eyes which causes puffiness.
- Age; As you get older the skin around your eyes becomes thinner, you also lose the fat and collagen needed to maintain your skins elasticity. As this occurs the dark tissue and blood vessels become more visible
- Dehydration; A common cause of dark circles under your eyes is lack of water. When your body is not receiving the proper amount of water, the skin beneath your eyes begins to look dull and your eyes look sunken. This is due to their close proximity to the underlying bone.
How can you treat dark circles?
- Apply a cold compress
- Get extra sleep
- Conceal with makeup
See below for some of our suggested products that are great for reducing the appearance of dark circles