What is sensitive skin?
To determine if your skin is sensitive, dermatologists look for the following things:
- Skin reactions such as pustules, skin bumps, or skin erosion
- Very dry skin which doesn't properly protect nerve endings in the skin
- A tendency toward blushing and skin flushing
How to care for sensitive skin
- Use Fragrance free and deodarant free soaps. Soap-free cleansers such as mild cleansing bars and sensitive-skin bars along with most liquid facial cleansers have less potential for facial skin irritation than soaps.
- Moisturizing products help skin hold on to moisture so it resists drying and abrasion
What type of products should you use on sensitive skin?
“skin-friendly” products contain:
- Only a few ingredients
- Little or no fragrance
If you have sensitive skin, avoid products containing:
- Antibacterial or deodorant ingredients
- Retinoids or alpha-hydroxy acids